Saturday, May 22, 2010

Necessity.



Music is so much more than I could ever explain it to be.
It makes me feel. And move. And think.
It's like motion in the air. Forcing you to move along with it.
Sometimes it is dense, and sometimes light, and sometimes somewhere in between that.
It can switch a mood, in the room or within yourself, with just the push of a button.
Music, to me, makes everything better.
I wish I could have someone following me around playing songs that go along with whatever I am doing, matching my mood and my thoughts and actions.

I can't think of any activity or time of day that I wouldn't want to be listening to music. From the moment I wake up, to the moment I fall asleep, a song is being played.
Maybe its because I can't really stand the silence. But it's also because I love the emotions, and the memories that songs bring out.
The excitement over a discovery of a new song.
The picking out of every instrument a band uses.
The difference between recorded and live versions.
I can't get enough.

I also feel that every genre of music has something to give. You shouldn't be shut off from a song just because it's titled "country" or "punk"
They all got a lil' somethin somethin.

The feeling of being at a concert and having the music surround you so you can feel it vibrating into your veins. The energy and the excitement. The movement of the crowd. The hands moving with the beat.

I don't even know what it is that draws people to music in such a way. It's magic or something.
But what I do know is that it's beautiful, and to me, a necessity.

2 comments:

  1. I've had the amazing experience of traveling with a few bands and I'm so spoiled now because of it. From the soundchecks in tiny bars and huge arenas to sitting stage left and handing off a guitar between songs, just looking at the crowd- freaking amazing.

    I miss having my hair vibrate with sound.

    I completely understand your need for music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I seriously don't know what to say because you said it all. Live it, breathe it.

    ReplyDelete