Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ishmael.

I finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...finally. Awesome. One of the themes in the book seemed to be the power of laughter. Which I really loved a lot. Here are some quotes I pulled:

"Man, when you lose your laugh, you lose your footing."

"Because he knows that you have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance, just to keep the world from running you plumb crazy."

I would place this book in my top fifteen favorites.

My new read is Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. It was recommended to me by a coworker, he told me it changed his perspective about a lot of things. I like it when books make you do that. Im only about forty pages in, but so far it's really making me think. It mentioned the phrase "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" Which is Latin for "after this, therefore because of this." Which makes sense when you think about it. How events in our lives are all sort of connected, and a current situation that we're in may not be happening if it was not for the prior event. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment